Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05 Oct 2006, 14:09

Cool, I'll give this a go this morning and see what happens..

Edit:
http://dragy.de/public/sphinx.api.diff the file is giving a 404 back

Last edited by ubuntu-geek; 05 Oct 2006 at 15:27.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 15:10

I'm getting a 404 on http://dragy.de/public/sphinx.api.diff, and am having some issues getting the src patch to apply, has anyone else managed to get it to apply?

orban, is there a reason you've removed the "Sort results by", "Find threads with", and "Find posts from" options from your search_forums template? They are still "doable" with multiple groups in sphinx, right?

Ideally I'm looking to replicate the existing vb search, minus the "find as posts and threads" option because I just think that is confusing.

Last edited by mute; 05 Oct 2006 at 16:05. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05 Oct 2006, 22:42

I'm dumb, I didn't realize you didn't "make clean" prior to creating your diff, and didn't notice it was breaking on the lack of a Makefile as I was building off of a pristine src dir.

Last edited by mute; 05 Oct 2006 at 22:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05 Oct 2006, 22:56

Yeah the patch is fine, if you've run configure before. I hadn't as I was using a fresh tarball so it won't apply cleanly. If you were to "make distclean" prior to generating your diff, it would apply cleanly for someone who had just untar'd the 0.9.6 source

I am rebuilding my indexes now, this is exciting! I think with date ranges this would probably be good enough to go live with!
Old 05 Oct 2006, 22:59

Fixed the diffs now, yeah the configure was the problem. Sorry about this.

date ranges: I added them...(changed template search_forums, search.php and includes/sphinx.php, it's all edited in my howto post already)...I didn't realise this was built in because it's not used in api/test.php or "search". (It is though in sphinxapi.php).

Now I got a few users wanting the "Show as threads" "Show as posts" back, what did vB think when they added that >.<

I mean what does the search show when you are searching for posts and select "display as posts"? The first post in the thread?

And when searching in thread titles and choose "display as threads"? All threads the posts that are found are in?

The latter is impossible to run on large forums becuase let's say you get 150.000 posts back, then you'd have to sort 150.000 threadids...I think those were those queries I had in my slow log with hundreds of thousands threadids in them...that were killing the server....smart vB.

Last edited by orban; 05 Oct 2006 at 23:05.
Old 06 Oct 2006, 00:54

Originally Posted by orban
Try to download the patches again....I'm really sorry about this but I never created patches before

diff -Naur sphinx-0.9.6/src sphinx-0.9.6-multigroup/src > /home/xxxxxxx/www/public/sphinx.src.diff
diff -Naur sphinx-0.9.6/api sphinx-0.9.6-multigroup/api > /home/xxxxxxx/www/public/sphinx.api.diff

This is what I used.
No need to be sorry! I got it to apply before you fixed it! I'm playing with it now. I appreciate you sharing your progress with the rest of us, it saves us a lot of headaches
Old 06 Oct 2006, 11:37

Could anybody create this as a standard plugin?

And... are others seeing the same extraordinary benefits?
Old 06 Oct 2006, 11:43

It is not possible to make this a plugin unless they add a ton of hooks to search.php.

Not to speak of general *n*x knowledge you need to install this anyway.

Owwwww

I forgot a step

Copy the sphinxapi.php to..hmm..some folder.

Last edited by orban; 06 Oct 2006 at 13:25. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:37

gorman: there is simply no comparison at all between MySQL embedded fulltext search and Sphinx-based search, both in terms of speed and relevance.

BTW, that's what I meant when I was replying to you at vb.com forums, about custom search solution.
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:38

5. Uncomment "unset($datecut);" (-> "#unset($datecut);") so includes/sphinx.php can use it (for date range search).
Were exactly is this at?
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:52

Doh, I mean comment it. So it doesn't get unset. >.<

line 12xx

In the section

// ############################################################################
// check if we are searching for posts from a specific time period

Before

// #############################################################################
// check to see if there are conditions attached to number of thread replies
perfect.. Was racking my brain on that one.. So far the implementation has been smooth. Only thing I am not keen on is the screen after a search that says please wait
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:53

Originally Posted by kmike
gorman: there is simply no comparison at all between MySQL embedded fulltext search and Sphinx-based search, both in terms of speed and relevance.

BTW, that's what I meant when I was replying to you at vb.com forums, about custom search solution.
Cool. Thanks. And... at least you replied. I'm kind of annoyed that a recognized problem of this magnitude is being left "on its own" by the development team.
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:55

That's always been there :O

$vbulletin->url = 'search.php?' . $vbulletin->session->vars['sessionurl'] . "searchid=$searchid";
eval(print_standard_redirect('search'));

Modify these lines and a add a straight header("Location:") maybe....
:0 I guess I am tired.. lol
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:55

It is not possible to make this a plugin unless they add a ton of hooks to search.php.
I'm mainly worried about upgrades... at the rate the vB team is churning them out, it could become a serious hassle to hand-modify templates each time.
Old 06 Oct 2006, 13:59

Originally Posted by gorman
I'm mainly worried about upgrades... at the rate the vB team is churning them out, it could become a serious hassle to hand-modify templates each time.
For me the speed increase is worth the few template edits..