Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
Auto Youtube Link-Converter Details »
Auto Youtube Link-Converter
Mod Version: 1.4, by Disasterpiece (Coder) Disasterpiece is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2018 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.1.2 Rating: (82 votes - 4.88 average) Installs: 787
Released: 01 Apr 2011 Last Update: 23 May 2011 Downloads: 3710
Not Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code  

So basically this is a total easy-to-implement plugin, which converts standard youtube links to video-embeds on the fly without urging users to use the video-button because I think it is unnecessary.


On post display, the plugin checks if the post contains at least 1 youtube link in the form of

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

and converts them using the default vB video bbcode parser.

Code can be modified to fit your needs, altough there shouldn't be much to add.
If you're the special performance-freak, I'm curious if you can enhance data/query-performance. So let me know if you do.

INSTALL:

- Download attached XML File and import it as an addon.


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


Now every post containing youtube-links should display the embedded video instead.
Works with any number of youtube-links and any kind of text surrounding them.

Let me know if you have trouble/questions.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
  #61  
Old 06 May 2011, 00:35
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
Updated to 1.3

Supports mobile devices for flash/embed-less browsers


// P.S.

Vote for me @ MOTM !
Thank you for all your support!
Updated to 1.3 with thanks ..

Continues to work fine on my computer (MacBook Pro) running FireFox, as tested with post YouTube link shown below ...

Tested accessing site from my two mobile devices using this YouTube link shown in a post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7GLdYhm3s

iPhone 4 ... (video window appears and link marked YouTube Link shows above it.)

iPad .... (post is blank .. no video or link shown ... when post is edited, link above shows fine)

Hope this helps track down any problems ...

Regards,
Doug

Edit: Follow up.. as a test, I DISABLED mod and checked post on iPad following that. Link to YouTube video then appears in post. I ENABLED mod again and post becomes blank again... no video, no pic.

Last edited by BadgerDog; 06 May 2011 at 10:33.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06 May 2011, 18:43
grc grc is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
Updated to 1.3

Supports mobile devices for flash/embed-less browsers


// P.S.

Vote for me @ MOTM !
Thank you for all your support!
One of my guys says he now has a link:
Hey, I *do* see a difference on my iPhone! It looks the same on my Chrome browser with a Flash-blocking plugin installed, but on my iPhone I now see a thumbnail image of the video along with a clickable link!
Thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06 May 2011, 19:00
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Yes, browsers that do not support the embed/flash-functionalities, have a fallback to the youtube preview image and a link to the youtube page attached. This is the (best) standard X3 conform method i could find
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08 May 2011, 07:28
Juggernaut's Avatar
Juggernaut Juggernaut is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Voted for MOTM
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08 May 2011, 10:22
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Anyone else tried this on the iPad?

See my post above where neither link or video appear with 1.3 ...

However, does appear fine on iPhone 4 with same Safari browser and same operating system.

Thanks ...

Regards,
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08 May 2011, 13:12
General Zod General Zod is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Greta mod working for me on 4.1.3
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08 May 2011, 16:41
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
Anyone else tried this on the iPad?

See my post above where neither link or video appear with 1.3 ...

However, does appear fine on iPhone 4 with same Safari browser and same operating system.

Thanks ...

Regards,
Doug
I'll test it soon on ipad, I have no access to it yet.

But as failsafe, you could change the fallback code to only image and link, so if a mobile browser is detected, don't use the default vB video embed at all.

You can accomplish this when you change the fallback embed code in the plugin's settings to this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

This ensures that the browser will display at least something instead of blank space in some cases.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08 May 2011, 18:58
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
I'll test it soon on ipad, I have no access to it yet.

But as failsafe, you could change the fallback code to only image and link, so if a mobile browser is detected, don't use the default vB video embed at all.

You can accomplish this when you change the fallback embed code in the plugin's settings to this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

This ensures that the browser will display at least something instead of blank space in some cases.
Thanks ...

What is the name of the plugin? I can't seem to find where to put that new code exactly, or what existing code to replace ...

I'm not the brightest light bulb programmer in the room ..

Regards,
Doug

Last edited by BadgerDog; 08 May 2011 at 19:03.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08 May 2011, 19:11
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
The Settings from Auto Youtube Viewer in your vB AdminCP > Settings > Auto Youtube Link Converter

I added an option in version 1.3 exactly for that purpose
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08 May 2011, 19:34
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
The Settings from Auto Youtube Viewer in your vB AdminCP > Settings > Auto Youtube Link Converter

I added an option in version 1.3 exactly for that purpose
Ok...

That code is exactly what's in that box right now at the last line?


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Regards,
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08 May 2011, 19:54
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Yes, that is the code which gets displayed, if a mobile browser is detected. The reason is, that mobile browsers can't potentially display the default vbulletin code, therefore nothing gets displayed.

The above code you posted is a replacement-code, which works with most mobile browsers (iphone for example). However, the ipad seems still to have trouble displaying the fallback code. So if you put the code snipped I posted a few posts above into the option field, you can ensure, that every mobile browser only displays the link instead of an embed, which he potentially can't display.

This is just a temporary solution until I figured out why the ipad can't display the fallback code and I might find a better replacement
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08 May 2011, 20:20
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
Yes, that is the code which gets displayed, if a mobile browser is detected. The reason is, that mobile browsers can't potentially display the default vbulletin code, therefore nothing gets displayed.

The above code you posted is a replacement-code, which works with most mobile browsers (iphone for example). However, the ipad seems still to have trouble displaying the fallback code. So if you put the code snipped I posted a few posts above into the option field, you can ensure, that every mobile browser only displays the link instead of an embed, which he potentially can't display.

This is just a temporary solution until I figured out why the ipad can't display the fallback code and I might find a better replacement
Ok, I did what you asked and snipped the line above and added it again under the same one that was already there, but I'm still confused as to why I need it twice. Anyway, it still doesn't appear on the iPad, but I've attached a pic of my AdminCP settings, just in case we're talking two different things here ..

Regards,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-05-08 at 4.18.11 PM.jpg (87.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08 May 2011, 21:20
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Not under, replace!

vbaytlc.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08 May 2011, 22:04
BadgerDog BadgerDog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Real name: Doug
Understood ...

As you've noted, it still doesn't display on the iPad (just blank post). I also checked my wife's iPad-2 and it doesn't work. Finally, I went back and checked the iPhone4 with just that single line of "FallBack Content" and it works on the one video example I posted earlier, after having removed the old code ...


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I then went through the iPhone4 and checked a few other videos that I hadn't done before, particularly some with formats that were different.

ie:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

They didn't show up on the iPhone4 or the iPads, I guess because the format is the video BBCode used by vBulletin in a native mode?

I thought we had gone through the routine of passing the database through your utility that removed all those? .. or, was that just the mod [youtube] type ones?

Regards,
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08 May 2011, 22:53
Disasterpiece's Avatar
Disasterpiece Disasterpiece is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
The script only removed those with the [youtube] tag.

The Issue I see at the moment is, that the standard vbulletin video code doesn't display on ipads, right?
> Just disable the mod, add a youtube video in a post via the vbulletin video-button, view the page and see if it appears. If not (as expected), the problem is with the embed code vbulletin uses and my mod also.
Right now I'm trying to fix that by looking for an embed code which modern browsers can display, and mobile browsers displaying some fallback thingy so they can at least see anything.

I own an iPhone 4, so I can check that, but I have to wait a few days until I get my hands on an iPad 2.

We'll see if there is something I can do, worst case will be disable the post replacement for mobile browsers completely, so they will only see a link to the youtube vid.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:46.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: