Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Apply "rel=nofollow" attribute to all parsed URLs Details »
Apply "rel=nofollow" attribute to all parsed URLs
Developer Last Online: Sep 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.5.0 Rating: (8 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 139
Released: 07 Aug 2005 Last Update: 30 Aug 2005 Downloads: 318
Not Supported Uses Plugins  

In the first cooperative move for nearly ten years, the major search engines have unveiled a new indexing command for web authors that they all recognize, one that they hope will help reduce the link and comment spam that plagues many web sites....due to removing the point of doing it in the first place.

The new "nofollow" attribute that can be associated with links was originated as an idea by Google in late 2004 and MSN and Yahoo, as well as major blogging vendors have jumped onboard.

The Nofollow Attribute

The new attribute is called "nofollow" with rel="nofollow" being the format inserted within an anchor tag.
When added to any link, it will effectively serve as a flag to tell the search engines that the link has not been explictly approved by the site owner, and therefore "not follow" it, or not use the referring page's (on your site) Page Rank in any way.

For example, this is how the HTML markup for an ordinary link might look:

<a href="http://www.somedomain.com/page.html">My forums are the best lol lol lol click here!!</a>
This is how the link would look after the nofollow attribute has been added, with the attribute portion shown in bold

<a href="http://www.somedomain.com/page.html" rel="nofollow">My forums are the best lol lol lol click here!!</a>
Once added, the search engines supporting the attribute will understand that the link has not been approved by the site owner.

Think of it as a way to flag to them, "I didn't post this link -- someone else did, don't associate me with it."

Originally Posted by Alkatraz
If Google sees nofollow as part of a link, it will:

1. NOT follow through to that page.
2. NOT count the link in calculating PageRank link popularity scores.
3. NOT count the anchor text in determining what terms the page being linked to is relevant for.
The site that is being linked to will gain nothing from the link, so the whole point of doing it in the first place is removed.

This will affect URLs in posts, as well as signatures...anything that goes through the bbcodeparse function as far as I can tell/guess, and will work recursively, or whatever the word is that means 'it will affect all existing posts and signatures'...or it did for me anyway.

To change the conditional number of posts, alter
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

to whatever you like.

I can't see how this could be done as a plugin, but if anyone wants to point out how, that would be nicer....YAY Kirby!

Now all you need to do is unzip the attached file, upload the plugin using your Admin CP - Plugin System - Plugin Manager!

Relax, safe in the knowledge that spammers linking from your site are doing so for no reason whatsoever.

To remove the old version:

File to modify: 1

1/ Open your includes/class_bbcode.php file

Find:

Replace with:

2/ Save and Upload.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
Old 07 Aug 2005, 12:06

I will install this on monday.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 13:48

Good job kall, will work great

~Curt
Just wanna ask a vB related question contact me.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 00:05

I'm not going to install this as my forum doesn't need it, microscopic in size compared to the majority - but just thought I would post my support for an excellent effort!
Old 08 Aug 2005, 16:33

Hook bbcode_create

Or (simpler, but might affect mor then just [url])
Hook: bbcode_parse_complete

Old 09 Aug 2005, 04:12

This seems to have conflicts with the "PM group leader on join request" plugin. At least it did with mine.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 01:57

would the work with grapping of the newsgroup and from mailinglist? Would the plugin work with the nntp newsgroup pulling.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 22:42

Originally Posted by ricker
This seems to have conflicts with the "PM group leader on join request" plugin. At least it did with mine.
I can't see how .. all this does is add an attribute to the href of a link.. can you please explain?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 06:46

Originally Posted by KirbyDE
Hook bbcode_create

For some reason I have no idea whatsoever how to apply this code. Is this basically a replacement in class_bbcode.php for what Kall originally posted?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:19

Originally Posted by welo
For some reason I have no idea whatsoever how to apply this code. Is this basically a replacement in class_bbcode.php for what Kall originally posted?
You can just upload the attached .xml now, thanks to Kirby.

(Could a Mod move this to the Plugins Forum? Ta.)
Old 01 Sep 2005, 06:27

The plugin is not working for me in 3.5 RC 2. Anyone else have any success with it?
Old 01 Sep 2005, 06:55

Working fine for me. I have min posts set to 50 (51 promotes members to another usergroup) and several usergroups exempted.

Look at the signature for this user f.ex. as opposed to the moderator posting on that thread. Here is a user with 50 posts.

(this is where "View Selection Source" in Firefox comes in handy)
Old 01 Sep 2005, 08:18

Originally Posted by Paul
The plugin is not working for me in 3.5 RC 2. Anyone else have any success with it?
I am.

I downloaded it from my plugin system.
Old 01 Sep 2005, 09:14

Will this make ALL links in forum posts get the attribute? Because it would be nice if links posted by admins or mods would not get it since they often link to other pages within our own site.
Old 01 Sep 2005, 09:27

Originally Posted by SnitchSeeker
Will this make ALL links in forum posts get the attribute? Because it would be nice if links posted by admins or mods would not get it since they often link to other pages within our own site.
Let's look at the bit in the first post that controls who has their posts/signatures "nofollow"'ed: