Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Replace URL's With Page Title Details »
Replace URL's With Page Title
Developer Last Online: Dec 2020 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.8 Rating: (30 votes - 4.60 average) Installs: 465
Released: 22 Aug 2007 Last Update: 22 Aug 2007 Downloads: 2118
Supported Uses Plugins  

This product will automatically take any incoming parsed link and display the title of that page instead of showing the URL.

Example:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/index.php

Is how URL's are displayed by default, after adding this plugin, automatically the page title of that URL will be displayed and linked:

VBulletin.org Forum

The only thing required to install is to upload the product file (see readme in attached file).

For those asking what the difference is between this mod, and a similar one, see my post here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...7&postcount=23

Limitations:
  • If the page has no title tag, only the URL will be displayed.
  • If the title tag does not appear within the first 1000 lines of the page, only the URL will be displayed. To keep the script from locking on URL's that go to large files or other large documents that could put a strain on the server and timeout a post, only the first 1000 lines are accepting when retrieving the page information.
  • Links on pages posted prior to adding this mod will not be updated.
Changelog:
  • Aug 22-2007: Fixed issue where functions might redeclare themselves, especially with shoutbox.
(note 49 downloads v1.0)

If you enjoy this mod, please nominate it for mod of the month (MOTM).

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Replace Local Links With Title Jafo232 vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 90 22 Aug 2007 04:10

Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:45

Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
No, it doesn't rewrite the URLs. What it does is add anchor text to the URL.

This might help with SEO for your forum if the link points to one of your threads. Otherwise, the page at the end of the link may benefit.
eitherway it benefits! So by anchoring it bots will identify the "text" first and will index it into search engines with the link, right? So when people search for "Basket Nitting" and that was anchored on the forum linking to your own forum then its a good thing..?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:02

Originally Posted by CP, View Post
eitherway it benefits! So by anchoring it bots will identify the "text" first and will index it into search engines with the link, right? So when people search for "Basket Nitting" and that was anchored on the forum linking to your own forum then its a good thing..?
Not necessarily. I was editing my post above as you were replying:

Originally Posted by djbaxter
This might help with SEO for your forum if the link points to one of your threads. Otherwise, the page at the end of the link may benefit. In both cases, I say "might" and "may" because it depends on the title of the page or thread to which the link is pointing - for many forums, the thread title is often pretty much useless for SEO (e.g., "Hi... I'm new here" isn't likely to rocket that thread to the top of the search engine rankings for anything useful to the forum owner, which is one - but only one - of the problems with trying to use mod_rewrite strategies with vBulletin).
In those cases, it's not going to help you much if at all. How many people are going to search for ""Hi... I'm new here" or "I have a problem" or "it doesn't work"?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:24

I highly doubt Google even credits links/anchor text in forum posts. You have to understand that Google passes PageRank and credit for "votes". Forum links could easily be posted by the site owner in the 1000's. Google and it's army of the Worlds best geeks are not that silly.

Even it does, most forum threads have no, or very little PR.

If you use this hack expecting some boost of some sort, you will be dissapointed. If you use this hack for your users, you wont be.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:35

Originally Posted by Dave Hawley View Post
I highly doubt Google even credits links/anchor text in forum posts.
They do show up in Google Alerts. That would seem to indicate that Google does recognize them as incoming links.

Even it does, most forum threads have no, or very little PR.
If a thread is indexed, and has at leasr one icnoming link, it should follow that it has some PR, no matter how small. One link in a thread wouldn't be worht much. A lot of similar links could have some impact.

If you use this hack expecting some boost of some sort, you will be dissapointed. If you use this hack for your users, you wont be.
Always true.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:48

To weigh in here, I wouldn't think it would affect SEO that much, other than it may put keywords into the threads/posts that were not there before..
Old 22 Oct 2007, 23:37

Any advice on why it's not working in my 3.6.8 forum? I installed and it's showing up in the admin CP, but none of the test posts I'm making are showing page titles, only the URL as usual. I've tried all sorts of URL's....
Old 26 Oct 2007, 03:40

Who is your host? Is it dreamhost?
Old 26 Oct 2007, 06:03

Originally Posted by Jafo232 View Post
Who is your host? Is it dreamhost?
No, Fused Network and they are *awesome*....is there an issue w/this not working with hosting companies who have higher security settings?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 00:35

Some hosts disable the fopen option to URL's, this sounds like the case with your host.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 02:37

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for taking the time to let me know this.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 17:27

i love it , good work

click Installed
For who use's my products. (All of it), I always support latest version of vBulletin only. So, if you use my products you'll find a working version of it for your current version. but I CANT SUPPORT IT unless you are using the latest version of vBulletin.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 07:49

Really great hack if it would work for me :/ Ive imported the xml, but the urls are the same as before...

i've created a new thread with the text http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=test&meta=. If i understand the function of this plugin correctly, it must show me test - Google-Search and not http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=test&meta=. Right? If yes... Where is the problem?!? Safe mode? Mod Rewrite?
Old 06 Dec 2007, 08:38

Has your host disabled fopen()?
Old 06 Dec 2007, 16:50

Yet another vBSEO feature for free, thanks!

/installed
Old 09 Dec 2007, 19:58

Probably a daft question - all my links to forums work perfectly with this mod, but links to threads instead of showing the original URL, or the thread title, just show the link as the forum title. I assume it has something to do with title tags - how would I change this to be the Thread title as opposed to the Forum title.

Does that make sense? Thankyou x