Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Limit Attachment Downloads Details »
Limit Attachment Downloads
Developer Last Online: Jun 2010 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.x Rating: (9 votes - 4.89 average) Installs: 71
Released: 02 May 2010 Last Update: Never Downloads: 402
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Additional Files  

Limit Attachment Downloads

The writing of this hack was originally sponsored by: sama3y.net

About this hack:
This hack allows you to limit the number of attachments users can download during a given time period.

This hack is pretty flexible right now. You can choose how many attachments a user can download in a give time. That given time can be set to an hour, a day, a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, or a year. You also set which attachment types get counted for this hack. Also, you set which usergroups get affected by this hack and how many downloads each usergoup can make.

If a user tries downloading past their limit, they will get an error message. This error message includes when they will be able to start downloading again.

Also, there is a cron job to remove from the table that this hack creates, all the rows that are past the limit date so your table doesn't grow forever and saves you space.
  • Files edited: 0
  • Templates edited: 0
  • Files to upload: 2 (1 via ACP, 1 via FTP)
  • Time to install: 1 minute

Updates:
Version 1.40 (05/02/10):
  • First release of this hack for vb 4.0.

Please post your comments or suggestions for this hack. I read ALL posts.

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK INSTALL!
You will get an email when a new version is released.

Pictures:
  • The error message.
  • Found in the main vb settings
  • Found in the attachment types setting
  • Found in the usergroup settings

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	116592   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	116593   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	116594   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	116595  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Limit Attachment Downloads Abe1 vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 106 13 May 2014 14:03

Comments
Old 02 May 2010, 23:48

Is there any way of getting this to work when attachments are inserted 'inline'?
Old 03 May 2010, 00:44

Well this is sent not to work with thumbs since a user downloads them with out his will. What do you mean by inline?

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 03 May 2010, 02:45

Thumbs up Thank you Abel

Thank you Abel, 5 stars, Nominated and Donation Made !! This was needed to stop those who rape sites to post on their own site with my posts.

I can't thank you enough

Last edited by Toxic2; 04 May 2010 at 04:28.
Old 03 May 2010, 03:34

Smile Thanks a lot

Downloaded - Installed - Nominated - given 5 stars

A much needed Mod, I can't thank you enough I was in need of this particular mod for a long time, had the same kind of problems as the guy above

Thanks a lot again
Old 03 May 2010, 03:47

Abel, does this Stop members from opening a txt attachment with notepad? after their Limit has been reached?
Old 03 May 2010, 03:54

Originally Posted by Toxic2 View Post
Abel, does this Stop members from opening a txt attachment with notepad? after their Limit has been reached?
As long as you set to count TXT files. You have to go into the attachment extension setting and make it count that extension.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 03 May 2010, 04:28

WhooHoo it works, Great !! it will not allow to open with note pad either. Million Thanks Abel !
Old 03 May 2010, 08:38

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
Well this is sent not to work with thumbs since a user downloads them with out his will. What do you mean by inline?
In the message editor environment there are the font bbcode buttons etcetera, to the right of the smilie selector there is a paperclip, by clicking that we can place attachments in-line of text rather than having attachments show at the base of a post.

Normal attachments:

text text text text

attachment

In-line attachment:

text text attachment text text
Old 03 May 2010, 11:27

Yes, those get counted also.

Old 03 May 2010, 13:24

Originally Posted by Toxic2 View Post
Thank you Abel, 5 stars, Nominated and Donation Made !! This was need to stop those who rape sites to post on their own site with my posts.

I can't thank you enough
Yup, especially those from su.pplier, dzf and DEA.

Old 03 May 2010, 17:19

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
Yes, those get counted also.
Thank you Abe1, I did wonder because the downloads were not getting restricted, but then it dawned on me to edit attachment permissions for .zip files, now it's working perfectly. We've been getting hit really hard by what can only be unsavoury members handing out their passwords and non-members downloading through their accounts, this will help to curb this behaviour.

Thank you very much, you are wonderful.

Alice x

Nominated and rated excellent.
Old 03 May 2010, 17:25

I always love this mod i'm glad it was ported.One thing though i have everything set the admin has no restrictions but for some reason they can't download.
Old 04 May 2010, 05:05

Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 View Post
I always love this mod i'm glad it was ported.One thing though i have everything set the admin has no restrictions but for some reason they can't download.

I did noticed one thing you need to be careful with, make sure the limited user group is not added as a second group.

example:
I set registered users to Limited Attachments, and No one else is limited, but if I add registered member For VIP group,mod group, Premium group etc. then they are limited also. So you can not have registered member (in my case) for a group you don't want limited. My Son has registered Members and added a registered2 group for the abusers and he just moves them to that group and they are limited. It is Important to go to permissions, user-groups and options ---> limited Attachments and configure the way you want. It was a bit confusing at 1st, but after a few trial and errors, I got it all straightened out. Hope that helps what to check for when things get confusing.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04 May 2010, 17:24

Thanks for this!