Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Private Message Quote Formatting Details »
Private Message Quote Formatting
Developer Last Online: Nov 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.x.x Rating: (10 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 76
Released: 13 Dec 2012 Last Update: 23 Dec 2012 Downloads: 256
Not Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code Translations  

What is it?
----------------------------
This mod arranges quotes in a PM to be in a "conversational" order instead of being nested. This solves the problem of displaying deeply-nested quotes. This mod also has an option to add a date/time stamp to quoted PMs.

Note: I'm marking this "beta" because it hasn't been tested very much. If you try this, please let me know if you have any problems or would like it to work differently.

Also, I'm not much of an html/css person - this mod mostly provides variables which can be checked in the template, and a bare-bones css file. If anyone comes up with css for a better looking format and wants to share it, please do (and maybe I'll put it in a later version).

(vb3 version here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=292996)

Installation:

Just import the product XML file from the Product Manager. This doesn't change stored PMs in any way (unless you enable the date/time stamp - see below), so you can uninstall or disable the product at any time to go back to the original PM template.

If you'd like to customize the format, you can edit the kh99_pm_quote, kh99_pm_quote_bit, and/or the kh99_pm_quote.css templates.

If you want to add date/time tags to PM quotes, go to the adminCP options under "Private Messaging Options" and set "Add Date and Time to Quotes" to yes. Note that if you later uninstall this mod, any messages quoted while this option was on will still contain a date/time tag, but it will display after the name in a default format and timezone. If this is a concern, it's probably better that you don't enable this option.

Also note that the date/time option only adds the timestamp to newly quoted messages - it will not add one to quotes in existing messages.

History:
0.91 (Dec 22, 2012)
  • Fixed conflict with at least one mod that adds default text formmating
  • Fixed problem with html in pm notification email
  • Option to show only N newest quotes and hide the rest
  • Optional Date/Time tag added to quotes in PMs
  • Added enable/disable option for the entire product, in admincp
  • Templates are now cached
0.9 (Dec 14, 2012)
  • Initial Release

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	sg1.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	142874   Click image for larger version

Name:	sg2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	142999  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 10:46

I'll think about that. I had intended to have some different styles that were user-selectable, but finally decided that I'd never get it released if I tried to make it too complicated.

And as I mentioned in the description, if anyone wants to take a shot at improving the look of it, please do.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 03:03

Originally Posted by kh99 View Post
I'll think about that. I had intended to have some different styles that were user-selectable, but finally decided that I'd never get it released if I tried to make it too complicated.

And as I mentioned in the description, if anyone wants to take a shot at improving the look of it, please do.
WOO HOO!! Works great in my 4.2 solved a issue I had lots of complaints about. THANKS
Old 21 Dec 2012, 20:44

Nice mod KH99. I bet you put a few hours in this one! I had thought about doing something with this part of private messaging, but every time I looked at the code ... well you know.

Thanks!

Last edited by tbworld; 21 Dec 2012 at 20:53.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 23:06

Originally Posted by tbworld View Post
Nice mod KH99. I bet you put a few hours in this one! I had thought about doing something with this part of private messaging, but every time I looked at the code ... well you know.
Thanks. Yeah, it's not very much code but it did take a while to work it out.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 21:39

great mod m8.installed
Old 22 Dec 2012, 22:28

Originally Posted by goxy63 View Post
Found what is the problem just now, problem is if message txt is wrapped with [COLOR] tags,
I am using this mod, and this mod is setting users default txt color
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231923
Originally Posted by jluerken View Post
Thanks kh99. Would be nice to add a "collapse" option so that only the last reply is completly visible and the rest is collapsed by default.
Should be an optional setting because I don't think everybody likes it.
New version addresses the above issues and a few others. Also has optional date/time stamp (which someone asked for in the vb3 version thread).
Old 22 Dec 2012, 22:29

Originally Posted by craigvm View Post
great mod m8.installed
Thanks. You missed the update by an hour or so - sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 04:37

Great mod

Kevin, could you put a screen shot to show the effect of this option?
"Add Date and Time to Quotes"

I set this option to yes but I cannot notice any change !

Thanks
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:17

I'll try to make a screen shot later. But I think the most likely reason you don't see anything is because it does not add date and time to existing messages, it only adds it to new messages.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:38

I think there is something wrong
In existing messages it is okay (I mean the quotes formatting not the date option)

But if I receive a new message and after reply, the another user will receive my message/reply without any quote !

Should I make anything to quote the previews message before send it ?
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:50

Hmm...you shouldn't have to do anything special. If you disable this mod, does the quote appear?

When you wrote your reply, did you notice if the message was in quote tags in your reply?
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:55

If you disable this mod, does the quote appear?
Yes

When you wrote your reply, did you notice if the message was in quote tags in your reply?
No, the post box is empty when I reply even if I click the reply button below the message, the post box still empty !
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:59

Hmm...try this if you can: go to the Plugin Manager and disable the "PM Quote Formatting - Add Date/Time to Quote" plugin (uncheck the "Active" checkbox and press "Save Active Status" button at the bottom. See if that makes the quote appear in the reply box.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, that probably is no different than setting "Add Date and Time to Quotes" to no. When you set it to Yes, that chnages the way the quote tags are inserted in the reply box, and apparently that isn't working for you for some reason. What version of vbulletin do you have? What version of php? And is your site using a different language?

Last edited by kh99; 23 Dec 2012 at 06:16.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 06:33

Hmm...try this if you can: go to the Plugin Manager and disable the "PM Quote Formatting - Add Date/Time to Quote" plugin (uncheck the "Active" checkbox and press "Save Active Status" button at the bottom. See if that makes the quote appear in the reply box.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, that probably is no different than setting "Add Date and Time to Quotes" to no. When you set it to Yes, that chnages the way the quote tags are inserted in the reply box, and apparently that isn't working for you for some reason. What version of vbulletin do you have? What version of php? And is your site using a different language?
You are right Kevin
I changed the option "Add Date and Time to Quotes" to NO and it is working now.

I am using v4.1.12
PHP v5.2.17
Arabic language RTL (I already modified the template "kh99_pm_quote.css" and changed all (left) to (right)

Thanks
Old 23 Dec 2012, 07:30

I have the same issue.

Reply box is empty when clicking reply to message.
Only happens when add date and time is set to yes.