Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 27 Sep 2016, 11:01
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Redis cache + PHP7 + vB4, why not?

I had to downgrade PHP7 to PHP5.6 for my vB4 because php7 didn't support memcached.
I feel loading speed for the forum really is slow when it could not use memcached.

Is there an option to use vB 4 + php7 with redis cache like vB4 with memcached? can vB team change vB4 to run with redis and PHP7?

I think it will be more faster.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27 Sep 2016, 13:35
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
I had to downgrade PHP7 to PHP5.6 for my vB4 because php7 didn't support memcached.
I feel loading speed for the forum really is slow when it could not use memcached.

Is there an option to use vB 4 + php7 with redis cache like vB4 with memcached? can vB team change vB4 to run with redis and PHP7?

I think it will be more faster.

Thanks
You didnt have to downgrade, you choose to, vBulletin does not need memcached to run.
As already pointed out previously, memcached is available for php7 should you want to use it.

No, we wont be adding support for Redis, if you dont want to install memcached, then use APCu, which is supported in vB 4.2.5.

Also, while using any of these for the datastore will possibly make the site a little faster, its not going to be by much - if your site is "really is slow when it could not use memcached" then you have bigger server issues that you need to sort out.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28 Sep 2016, 02:49
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

As already pointed out previously, memcached is available for php7 should you want to use it.
I know you said this in your previous post but when I upgraded to PHP7.0.10, Memcached is error and could not use it on the server or enable it for vB4
Someone said we need to wait php7.1 to support memcached but it can take a long time.

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
No, we wont be adding support for Redis, if you dont want to install memcached, then use APCu, which is supported in vB 4.2.5.
I am sure if a CMS has more support for functions that users need, more new customers will come.

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Also, while using any of these for the datastore will possibly make the site a little faster, its not going to be by much -
Not only making web pages load faster but also improved performance for our forum, I can not use PHP7 but not for memcached.
__________________
The best webmaster forum & internet marketing forum for webmasters and internet marketers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 Sep 2016, 02:55
Dave Dave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It's entirely possible for you or someone else to make a new Redis datastore for vBulletin but honestly, you don't really need memcached on PHP 7 if you enable OPCache. Are you sure the OPCache module is enabled in your PHP 7 installation?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 Sep 2016, 07:09
webmastersun's Avatar
webmastersun webmastersun is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's entirely possible for you or someone else to make a new Redis datastore for vBulletin but honestly, you don't really need memcached on PHP 7 if you enable OPCache. Are you sure the OPCache module is enabled in your PHP 7 installation?
Of course, I tried to install caching solutions as memcached, redis...but memcached is working the best, I think the same to Redis if vB integrates it as a datastore like memcached.

And OPCache is enabled on my forum with php7
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28 Sep 2016, 13:23
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Like I said, we wont be adding Redis, you have been told the alternatives, there is nothing we can do if you stubbonly refuse to use them.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29 Sep 2016, 09:55
cellarius's Avatar
cellarius cellarius is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Real name: Sven
Originally Posted by webmastersun View Post
I am sure if a CMS has more support for functions that users need, more new customers will come.
I think its safe to say that vB4 will not see any further feature development. Asking for it is just a waste of time. IB's current product is vB5, and this will not change after four years. If you want it, in all likeliness you'll have to code it yourself or pay someone.
__________________
Please note that there will be no further updates to my addons, especially they will not be upgraded for vB5. I'm leaving vB, since IB choose to go the banana-way yet again.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:24.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: