Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
[HTL] & [Normal] - Useroption for Postbit Style, one file edit, WITH caching Details »
[HTL] & [Normal] - Useroption for Postbit Style, one file edit, WITH caching
Mod Version: 1.00, by KuraFire (Member) KuraFire is offline
Developer Last Online: Jan 2007 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.0.0 Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 17
Released: 02 Feb 2004 Last Update: Never Downloads: 8
Not Supported  

Useroption for Postbit Style, one file edit, WITH caching
Version: 1.00
vB-version: 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3
Developer: KuraFire
Install difficulty: 0
File edits: 1
Template edits: 0

Description of the Hack:
This tiny Hack will give your users the option to choose Postbit style, using only one file edit and maintaining perfect Template caching throughout the entire forum.



Unlike ge-force2k2's Hack, this one uses only one simple file edit while still making sure that the template is ALWAYS CACHED (including on announcement.php, which ge-force's hack doesn't do). It also uses the User Profile Field functionality to create the User Option, rather than hardcoding that (saves file edits, template edits and phrases).


Instructions are in the zip, in both .htl and .txt format (the latter is a preview of the HTL 1.1 Text File Generator! ).

ENJOY!



HACK INSTALLATION DETAILS:
Files modified for this Hack:
./includes/functions.php


This post was generated by the Hack Tracking Log

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
  #2  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:28
KuraFire's Avatar
KuraFire KuraFire is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Faruk
ok, who modified the thread title? :|

We all know that HTL hacks may not be released without a .txt, so why bother with cluttering up the title areas on the site with useless pointers?
__________________
EverythingvB.com is closed; it will merge into the KuraFire Network, version 6. KF*N 6 will have information about XHTML, CSS, PHP and vBulletin, and especially all those combined.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:32
Sadie Frost's Avatar
Sadie Frost Sadie Frost is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
I don't know much at all about these things, so could anyone tell me what the difference in performance there would be between using this and just using a conditional and template edits to do the same thing?
__________________
[buffy-boards]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:33
assassingod's Avatar
assassingod assassingod is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Originally Posted by KuraFire
ok, who modified the thread title? :|

We all know that HTL hacks may not be released without a .txt, so why bother with cluttering up the title areas on the site with useless pointers?
I did. It's just an indication for anyone who do not know about the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:43
Link14716's Avatar
Link14716 Link14716 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Real name: Matthew Gordon
Originally Posted by assassingod
I did. It's just an indication for anyone who do not know about the rules.
I'm going to ask this again - if it is a rule, then why in the blue hell is it not stated in the announcement that has all the other rules in it at the top of the Full Releases forum?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:50
KuraFire's Avatar
KuraFire KuraFire is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Faruk
Originally Posted by Link14716
I'm going to ask this again - if it is a rule, then why in the blue hell is it not stated in the announcement that has all the other rules in it at the top of the Full Releases forum?
Exactly. Either put it there and stop editing titles to clutter them up even more, or disband the rule (which makes more sense, still, but ohwell, we've had that discussion already).

Sadie: using a conditional and template edits is rather silly, as vB3 comes with BOTH of the template styles pre-packaged. To merge the two of them into one big template and then splitting them up using a conditional is a lot of needless data and server memory being used.

This hack (mine) is the most efficient one of all (two..) versions I've seen so far: ge-force2k's and freddie's. So if you want the most server-friendly solution, this would be the one...
__________________
EverythingvB.com is closed; it will merge into the KuraFire Network, version 6. KF*N 6 will have information about XHTML, CSS, PHP and vBulletin, and especially all those combined.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:52
assassingod's Avatar
assassingod assassingod is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/annou...ouncementid=18

It's always been there
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:56
KuraFire's Avatar
KuraFire KuraFire is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Faruk
*sigh*

sometimes vb.org just makes me wanna take my hacks elsewhere and not release HTL 1.1 here anymore either...
__________________
EverythingvB.com is closed; it will merge into the KuraFire Network, version 6. KF*N 6 will have information about XHTML, CSS, PHP and vBulletin, and especially all those combined.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:57
Dan's Avatar
Dan Dan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Real name: Daniel
Originally Posted by KuraFire
*sigh*

sometimes vb.org just makes me wanna take my hacks elsewhere and not release HTL 1.1 here anymore either...
nice one I might use it since most of my members like old style but i like new style better for some reason
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Guildhead | Torhead | Wowhead
Please do not Private Message, Email or Instant Message me for Support with vBulletin or help with any Modifications to vBulletin.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 20:58
Link14716's Avatar
Link14716 Link14716 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Real name: Matthew Gordon
Always? It wasn't there 5 minutes ago... :|
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02 Feb 2004, 22:00
Sadie Frost's Avatar
Sadie Frost Sadie Frost is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Originally Posted by KuraFire
Exactly. Either put it there and stop editing titles to clutter them up even more, or disband the rule (which makes more sense, still, but ohwell, we've had that discussion already).

Sadie: using a conditional and template edits is rather silly, as vB3 comes with BOTH of the template styles pre-packaged. To merge the two of them into one big template and then splitting them up using a conditional is a lot of needless data and server memory being used.

This hack (mine) is the most efficient one of all (two..) versions I've seen so far: ge-force2k's and freddie's. So if you want the most server-friendly solution, this would be the one...
I used the hack at vbtemplates that just add a selection box to the usercp, then puts a conditional in phpinclude_start to either use the postbit or postbit_layout, so its not too much editing. But thanks - you answered my question. Time to try out the old HTL
__________________
[buffy-boards]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03 Feb 2004, 03:38
zajako's Avatar
zajako zajako is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: James Covey
Originally Posted by KuraFire
*sigh*

sometimes vb.org just makes me wanna take my hacks elsewhere and not release HTL 1.1 here anymore either...
i feel that way quite often kura.....

but anyways, good job, ill install thsi when i upgrade to the newest vb3, im sick of having to redo styles every time vb wants to release a rc >.>
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03 Feb 2004, 09:35
KuraFire's Avatar
KuraFire KuraFire is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Faruk
Originally Posted by Sadie Frost
I used the hack at vbtemplates that just add a selection box to the usercp, then puts a conditional in phpinclude_start to either use the postbit or postbit_layout, so its not too much editing. But thanks - you answered my question. Time to try out the old HTL
The one from vb.com by freddie was good, but it would add a query to all showthread/showpost/announcement pages (cos it wouldn't cache the new template).
__________________
EverythingvB.com is closed; it will merge into the KuraFire Network, version 6. KF*N 6 will have information about XHTML, CSS, PHP and vBulletin, and especially all those combined.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03 Feb 2004, 18:21
spence2 spence2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Originally Posted by KuraFire
*sigh*

sometimes vb.org just makes me wanna take my hacks elsewhere and not release HTL 1.1 here anymore either...
While I might not have need of this specific hack, KuraFire, I hope you (and others) keep in mind the great number of people who benefit from your work and who greatly appreciate it! You guys & gals not only add to "technology"...you enhance the work & lives of real people. I know as an Admin that I'm always excited to be able to add something unique to my forum. And I know it is people like you that I have to thank.

So, "thanks!" and remember the countless hapless noobs like me who appreciate your time, expertise & all the hoops you jump through for us. :knockedout:
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03 Feb 2004, 20:28
KuraFire's Avatar
KuraFire KuraFire is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Faruk
Originally Posted by spence2
While I might not have need of this specific hack, KuraFire, I hope you (and others) keep in mind the great number of people who benefit from your work and who greatly appreciate it! You guys & gals not only add to "technology"...you enhance the work & lives of real people. I know as an Admin that I'm always excited to be able to add something unique to my forum. And I know it is people like you that I have to thank.

So, "thanks!" and remember the countless hapless noobs like me who appreciate your time, expertise & all the hoops you jump through for us. :knockedout:
Ahh, thank you spence, that was very nice of you

Gives me spirit and energy to see our work appreciated by people like you. Thanks
__________________
EverythingvB.com is closed; it will merge into the KuraFire Network, version 6. KF*N 6 will have information about XHTML, CSS, PHP and vBulletin, and especially all those combined.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: